Kamaliʻi Photo Contest
2017 Kamaliʻi Photo Contest Winners
Mahalo to all kamaliʻi who participated in the first LT Photo Contest! The contest challenged kamaliʻi with a passion for photography to capture an image of what a thriving Hawaiian child looks like, through their own lens.
Congratulations to the following three grand prize winners -- whose photos can be found across the middle row below (left to right):
- 1st Place: Te Tāne Hāna Hoe by Angel Mahadocon (Maui)
- 2nd Place: Imua Hawaiʻi Keiki by Kahealani Garcia (Maui)
- 3rd Place: Time to Play, Time to Work by Shandalyn Kaholoaa (Molokaʻi)
“What is a Thriving Hawaiian Child?”
OUR MISSION: We believe in the resiliency of our Hawaiian children. We advocate and work towards systemic change for their wellbeing and build them pathways to thriving lives.
CONTEST THEME: Liliʻuokalani Trust is holding its first annual photography contest! The contest theme, “What is a Thriving Hawaiian Child?” challenges kamaliʻi with a passion for photography to capture an image of what a thriving Hawaiian child/children looks like, through their own lense. The goal of this all-kīpuka collaboration is to foster and showcase kamaliʻi talent, imagination and creativity. Kamaliʻi can interpret an image of “What is a Thriving Hawaiian Child” in any way they choose, and are not restricted to particular subjects or themes.
ENTRY PERIOD: The photo contest begins on July 15, and ends on August 15, 2017. Entries submitted before or after the Entry Period will not be eligible.
ELIGIBILITY: This contest is open to all LT kamaliʻi in two categories, middle school and high school. Kamaliʻi are expected to have access to and use cameras/smart phones of their own, or those of friends and family.
Each photo submission must be the contest entrant’s own produced work and may not feature or focus on any material owned or controlled by third parties (unless the entrant can provide written documentation of permission to use any materials owned by a third party, as set forth below or in a form and substance determined by Liliʻuokalani Trust in its sole discretion).
By submitting the photos, entrants (kamaliʻi) certify that they have necessary permission and/or releases from individuals depicted. Upon request the entrant must provide all appropriate clearances, permissions and releases (including but not limited to releases from all persons appearing in the Submission, location releases, and releases from all creative consultants or others who assisted in the creation of the Submission) for the Submission in a form and substance determined by Liliʻuokalani Trust in its sole discretion. In the event an entrant cannot provide all required releases, LT reserves the right to disqualify the applicable Submission.
HOW TO ENTER
Please submit all entries to firstname.lastname@example.org between July 15 through August 15, 2017.
Entries must contain the following information:
- Name of photographer/kamaliʻi (first and last name)
- Contact info: email address and phone number
- Title of photo
- Location of photo
- A brief description of the photo reflecting on the following questions:
- What do you SEE in the photo?
- What is HAPPENING in the photo?
- How are one or more of our core values represented in this photo?
- How does this relate to OUR lives and our future?
- Kamaliʻi may submit up to two photos for the photo contest.
- Each entry photo must be submitted as a JPEG file, no larger than 10MB in size.
- Clearly label each entry photo with both the name of photographer/kamaliʻi and photo title (e.g. Kimo Smith – Hoʻoulu)
JUDGING: Winners will be selected by the photo contest committee after the final submission date; all participants will be notified of the contest results via email. Photo entrants will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Quality of photograph
- Clarity of theme, “What is a Thriving Hawaiian Child?”
- Creativity, originality, overall composition and impact
- Connection to and representation of Core Values:
- ʻImi Naʻauao (to seek knowledge)
- Hōʻihi (to be respectful, courteous)
- Poʻokela (to strive for excellence)
- Wiwoʻole (to be courageous, brave, fearless)
- Kuleana (to be responsible, accountable)
- Pono (right time, place, reason, people, tools)
PRIZES: There will be one grand prize winner in each (middle school and high school) category.
1st place winners (2) will be awarded the following grand prize:
- Nikon Camera Package
- Nikon COOLPIX L340 20.0 MP digital camera with 28x Zoom NIKKOR lens & full HD 720p video recording
- Xtech 4 AA high capacity 2950mah batteries with rapid charger
- 32 Gigabyte SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) memory card, & Xtech universal memory card wallet
- Xtech full size 50” tripod w/ case
- Xtech flexible mini table top tripod
- Xtech lens care & cleaning kit
- Xtech LCD screen protectors
- HeroFiber ultra gentle cleaning cloth
LT will notify winners via the contact information provided at the time of entry.
Winning photo entries may be displayed at designated kīpuka and will also be featured in our LT “What’s Up” newsletter and LT website.
QUESTIONS? Please email questions and inquiries to email@example.com.