Oct 31, 2012
Queen Lili?uokalani Trust has built and completed an access road through its lands connecting the Kona Industrial Subdivision and the Makalapua Business Center subdivisions linking Kaiwi and Loloku streets.
This new roadway, Ma’a Way, comprised of curbs, gutters, sidewalks and bike paths was not required as part of the development, rather it was initially proposed by community stakeholders as a suggestion to improve vehicular and pedestrian travel.
“We have had on-going meetings with community stakeholders over the past two years. We were encouraged to integrate our newer commercial development at Kona Commons with the mature
commercial developments in the Kona Industrial Subdivision,” stated Trust Vice President LeeAnn Crabbe. “Connectivity and walkability are inititatives that have resonated throughout this collaborative process. Ma’a Way will improve access and will help small businesses in Kona.”
QLT submitted a subdivision application to the County of Hawaii to create the roadway lot in December 2009. Five lots were subdivided: one for the new roadway, two lots currently leased to Hawthorne Pacific and Davis Tile, and two lots fronting Loloku Street.
“Credit goes to Mayor Billy Kenoi, Planning Director Bobby Jean Leithead-Todd, Public Works Director Warren Lee and the County administration for expediting this project. Their help was instrumental in planning and completing Ma’a Way,” Crabbe said.
Ma’a Way traverses between the buildings housing Hawthorne Pacific and Davis Tile. Roadway alignment and compliance with County of Hawaii zoning setback requirements resulted in renovation to a portion of the Hawthorne warehouse/office building.
Isemoto Contracting Co. Ltd was the contractor of record for Ma’a Way. Kona engineer Nancy Burns coordinated the technical aspects of the design plans and specifications.
P3 Management managed the project for QLT. Other local firms participating in the Ma’a Way roadway project included Roth Kimura LLP, Wallace T. Oki, P.E. Inc., Wes Thomas & Associates, Geolabs Inc., Wasa Electric, and Hawaiian Electric & Light Co.
Naming Ma’a Way
Ma’a Way is named after Ma’a, who was born here in the ahupuaa of Keahuol? circa 1802. His grandparents were caretakers of these lands and planted coconut for the alii.
Upon the death of Keoua about 1791, the coconuts went to Alii Ane Keohok?lole, mother of King Kalakaua and Queen Lili?uokalani.
The descendants of Ma’a believe that the coconut grove was located in the ili aina of Waikilohi, currently under the Old Kona Airport runway.
Maili, property in the mauka uplands of Keahuol?, was awarded to Ma’a through a Land Commission Award (LCA 10303). In 1848, Maili was described to have 11 kihapai (gardens) of taro, 10 kihapai of sweet potato and seven loulu palm trees.
Ma’a resided in the neighboring ahupuaa of Lanihau and died April 29, 1892.
Ma’a and his wife Pili had six children: John, Kaai, Kaanana, Nuuanu, Piimoku, Papahi/Peahi and Malaka.
Today, Agnes Kaelemakule Lui is among the direct living descendants of Ma’a. Agnes and her husband Raymond “Joe” Lui are living kupuna of Keahuol?.
The couple along with their daughter, Nicole Keaka Kealohaokalani Lui are recognized lineal and cultural descendants of these lands of Keahuol?.
The Lui family suggested Ma’a as the name for this new connector road to honor the family’s loyalty to the aina and the alii of Keahuol?.
The Queen Lili?uokalani Trust was established by Hawaii’s last ruling monarch, the beloved Queen Lili?uokalani. The Deed of Trust, executed in 1909, directs that the Queen’s lands be utilized to serve and provide for orphaned and destitute children in perpetuity.
The Core Trust assets include some 6,400 acres of land, the majority in Kona. Outreach to beneficiaries is delivered through the Queen Lili?uokalani Children’s Center, established in 1933.
Source: Hawaii 24/7